Home

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Masterpiece plan

“The best way to predict the future is to invent it.” -Alan Kay
My question is “how will technology shape the future?” Since there are so many ways I can go about with this, I will focus on three main fields: consumer electronics (smartphones, computers, etc), connected living (cloud, homes, cars, etc), and quantum computing. I came to be interested in these topics because I love technology, and how it is evolving where everything is connected  and computerized. Also, quantum computing grabbed my interest because of what it can do. It can solve complex problems, such as simulating protein folding in genes to find better drugs. I can also predict when and where crime will happen by analyzing large amounts of data. I care about these topics so much because I like to research these now so in the future I can create something innovative myself. Also, if I know a new form of tech will rise in a decade or so, I can prepare myself to be a leader in that industry when everyone else is barely getting to know what it is.

Learning about these topics will enrich my life and create value for everyone in many ways. First, I be able to learn about upcoming tech, so that when I get my college degree in engineering, I will know what society will demand and use this info in entrepreneurship. Technology is always evolving at a fast paced. This info will be beneficial to all. For example, 3D printers, which is becoming a consumer product today, has the possibility of printing human organs. This information is beneficial to people who are in need of organs like kidneys. Or, if someone wants to go into the biotech field, knowing that technologies like this can change how they will contribute to society.

This field requires knowledge of social science, computer science, math, computer/electrical engineering, IT, quantum physics, cloud systems, industrial design and creativity.

I have been learning about my topic for years by reading tech articles on sites like Engadget, Techradar, and Slashgear. I already know a lot about the current consumer electronics industry, and how it will start to shape the future. I plan to do most of my learning through this way using the internet. I will learn more about connected living and quantum computing. My goal is to gain enough knowledge and data to present an accurate depiction of future tech. In addition to online research, I plan on going to Mountain View and visit the Computer History Museum (possibly get a group).

I would want to meet engineers at Google, Intel, Apple, Asus, and D-Wave. I want to know how these companies actually make today’s products, and how they envision the future. I am thinking of using infographics like easel.ly.

2 comments:

  1. My uncle, a chemical engineer, worked with a company that headlined solar panels and energy at Silicon Valley. He's visiting later this month. If you want, I can ask him questions for you about working at Silicon Valley, working with energy and how it can ultimately shape our future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to know more. I think the solar panels will play a bigger role in the future, and I am interested. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete